Thursday, October 19, 2006

Sucking the life out of youth

This could be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. There's a school district in Massachusetts that's banned kids from playing tag during recess. Why? Because they're afraid of someone getting hurt and suing.

I'm serious. I wish I wasn't, but I am.

I feel like yelling and ranting and raving about this subject (I feel rather strongly about our "entirely too timid/I would hate to offend anybody" society), but I'll leave it at this: if we shelter our kids to the extent of not letting them run around during recess, not only are we robbing them of their childhood, we're going to raise a generation of sissies that would easily be overrun by the French. And we can't have that.

1 comment:

  1. They banned it not only because they were afraid of kids getting physically hurt but they also didn't want their kids feelings to get hurt. It's stupid to try to shelter children this way. I knew growing up that I wasn't the fastest or best kid at any sport and I knew that I was going to be picked last. Yes, I am a Dork, and I will say that it did hurt my feelings sometimes but as an adult, I'm OKAY! Kids lives don't revolve around these things they get over it and move on. It seems it's the parents who get more offended then the kids.

    ReplyDelete