Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Pride cometh before the fall

The Consumerist relates a story about this billboard for a Chicago medical spa with a scantily clad woman on it. She's a little too "un-clad" and the community took up a petition to have it replaced. (Modesty Box added by Yours Truly.)

What gets me is the owner's arrogant, chauvinistic response (he's French), insisting the billboard appeals to his male clientèle:

"...This is a man's world. I don't want to sound cocky, but I'm so big in the business that if I lose a handful of clients, we'll get some new ones."

Since I work in advertising, I wish more clients would take risks. Generally speaking, if you aren't risking something you have very little to gain. However, flat-out saying, "I'm so good, I don't care if I lose customers," especially over advertising that is neither strategic nor conceptual, is a good way to do the latter: lose customers.

I really hope this guy goes down in flames.

2 comments:

  1. so i heard offensive ads are the new thing in advertising. It is amazing what goes up in some places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shocking ads are being used, essentially, because people aren't bright enough/too lazy to come up with actual concepts.

    This particular guy seems like he's shooting himself in the foot in a number of ways, one being that he's likely alienating a lot of potential female customers by using this base method of advertising.

    ReplyDelete