Thursday, August 28, 2008

The breastfeeders are back

They're back. And this time they've set up shop for good. The library is the new home of the Breastfeeding Cafe. I didn't spend too much time looking in the "cafe" for obvious reasons, although I did notice there are a few Lay-Z-Boys in there.

I guess the idea behind the place is that those who want to breastfeed their kids can have a place to do so. Kind of like the Mother's Room in our church buildings.

Of course, the chairs in the Mother's Rooms aren't facing big glass doors which open to a public walkway.

I'm half tempted to walk in and innocently ask for an Italian soda and a croissant, but I don't know how well that would go over.

So you ladies out there... would you use a facility like the Breastfeeding Cafe? Let me know in the comments.

5 comments:

  1. Beats sitting on a toilet in a public restroom.

    I would totally use it. If it were culturally appropriate, I would just sit down on a chair in the library and do my thing, which I do with a blanket, but it's hot enough holding a baby without a blanket.

    I find it completely bizarre that people use blankets in the mother's room in my ward. If I'm going to use a blanket, why did I leave Sunday School in the first place?

    I think they should have a corner of the RS room a breastfeeding area. If you don't want to see it, don't look. There's not much to see if you're doing it right anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how we are.

    In France and Switzerland (no French jokes please David), they do it on a bus, in a store, on a street. Right there in the open- no blanket, no tent-like chemise, nothing. And so far, at least (only been a few thousand years or so), I don't think anyone's died from seeing a mother feed her child over there.

    Anyway. The Library's a nice place. I'd rather do it out under a tree in the courtyard or up in the corner near a fireplace. But then, it's not a decision I'm likely to have to make either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As of now I would definitely not use a Breast feeding Cafe, but that's probably just because I don't have to breast feed. I think I would feel a little awkward though, chilling with all these ladies I don't know in a random cafe. I'd much rather be in my own house with a new book and a jar of peanut butter. What's wrong with a little privacy anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talyn - Thanks for your comment.

    Brett - I'm using all my willpower to request your wish for no French jokes. True, no one has died, but it has made 90% of all missionaries uncomfortable.

    Miss H - For some reason the image of you with a book, a baby and a jar of peanut butter cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's funny that it says "share" in big letters above the cafe. Kinda gross.
    I bet I would use it. It's better than the milwaukee library where they have nothing and I had to feed my kid in the open on a wooden bench.

    ReplyDelete