Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Macworld 2008 reaction - UPDATED


Good all-around keynote. Stevie J. had a little sumpin'-sumpin' for everybody: iPhone/iPod and Apple TV updates, new Time Capsule networking and the incredibly thin Macbook Air (seen above).

That's one fine lookin' lappy, but I won't be giving up my current Macbook anytime soon. I'm not sure why Apple thinks they can strip features away from a product and charge twice what it's worth. Then again, many would argue that's what they always do.

I'm disappointed Apple is charging early adopters of the Touch $20 to get the upgraded software that should have been included on the device to begin with. It seems like a slap in the face to their existing customers. Of course, they have a lot of experience with that.

Time Capsule is a cool concept, but it seems to me the same functionality should be available natively in Leopard without requiring and additional piece of $300 (or $500) hardware. You can get a 500 GB external drive and a wireless router for a lot less than $200.

All that being said, I'm going to unlock my iPhone tonight.

Photo courtesy of Gizmodo.

3 comments:

  1. so how do you get updates for your iphone? if it is on a different carrier....will it do it through your computer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What on earth was up with Randy Newman's little tirade on the government? The dude blathered for way too long. He's looking old, too. Definitely a step down from KT Tunstall, and less photogenic, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good. The post I've been waiting for because I didn't have time to watch anything about MacWorld (though coworkers wandered in and out of my area talking about it). I still have my iBook and I'll keep it until it (1) dies, (2) drives me crazy due to lack of space, or (3) becomes totally obsolete it's not worth keeping...

    I'll probably get a new computer when I graduate.

    ReplyDelete