Friday, May 16, 2008

Does ANYONE in Utah have this Moleskine?? - UPDATED X3

It's driving me nuts! I've called every bookstore I can think of and NOBODY has these notebooks in. I ordered one from an Amazon retailer on Sunday and, from what I can tell from the tracking info, it's been sitting in California since Tuesday.

I'm looking for the pocket sized, ruled, soft cover Moleskine notebook.

Do you have one? Do you know where I can get my hands on one ASAP? Drop me a line and if I can in fact get one, I'll buy you a snow cone.

UPDATE: Barnes & Noble said they had one at their Gateway location:


Except when I called, they don't really have it in stock. *sigh* And I went and got my hopes up.

UPDATE 2: BYU Bookstore has copies in. My good friend Laura is going to mail me one on Monday...unless someone else is going down sooner.

UPDATE 3: My good friend, faithful reader and distant relative, Erin, is coming to Salt Lake tonight from Provo and will be bringing me the long awaited notebook.
Photo courtesy of here.

7 comments:

  1. A snow cone???? Are you serious?!?!?! My friend you will have a brand spankin' new Mole Skin in your hands within the hour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you will note the time, I didn't even need the entire hour, only half of it! Check your phone for details on where your moleskine can be found! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I may have been wrong on my first try, but I am positive I have it right this time. Check your phone again for the location. I believe I am still within an hour and I even drove home in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No dice. I called and it was the hardcover. Third time the charm?

    FYI: the ISBN for this particular product is 8883707109.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't help you find one, but I can offer some elucidation regarding them.

    Although Moleskine srl claims their notebook has been used by well-known artists and writers, such as Picasso, Matisse, and Hemingway, the brand Moleskine was officially registered only in 1996. Francesco Franceschi, head of Modo & Modo's marketing department, was quoted as saying, "It's an exaggeration. It's marketing, not science. It's not the absolute truth."[1] One writer who has confirmed using them is Neil Gaiman, who wrote about his love of Moleskine notebooks on his blog.[2] Dutch screenwriter Simon de Waal also uses Moleskine notebooks. In an interview he said he uses the small Moleskine books for making notes on research and keeping ideas, and a large notebook for each script and book he writes.[citation needed] Dave Eggers uses Moleskine notebooks for his writing while he travels, and his book of short stories How We Are Hungry was originally released in a cover imitative of a Moleskine journal.[3]

    Cahier (Fr. for "notebook", pronounced kah-yay, /ka'je/) notebooks are thinner, and come in sets of three. They are also available in two different colors, black or buff(kraft). They have a thin, flexible cardboard cover, without the durable oilcloth cover, and also lack the bookmark and elastic closure present on the other notebooks, and have a visible stitched spine. The three sizes are pocket (64 pages), large (80 pages), and extra large (19 by 25 cm (7.5 x 9.75 inches); 120 pages); each size comes in ruled, squared, or plain varieties.

    Snow cone aficionados be aware this is the one David is looking for. It is very rare he will accept no substitutions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check your email.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin saves the day, and quite possibly my life. The post has been updated - I should have my notebook tonight!

    ReplyDelete