Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A letter from the IRS

My wife and I got this letter from the IRS informing us that our economic stimulus check should be arriving by the 16th. Odd thing is, the letter is dated the 19th and we still don't have our money.

What does one do in a situation like this? Fortunately, there's a helpful subhead in the letter which reads, What You Need To Do. Allow me to quote directly from the letter:

"You do not need to do anything."

Let me make sure I understand: The IRS mailed us a letter telling us we should have our money when they knew we didn't. I'm certain they're aware that we don't have our money as they're the ones who are sending the money to us.

In addition, we aren't supposed to do anything.

Huh.

So...what's the point of the letter? And why didn't they just mail us the check?

10 comments:

  1. Hi Dave,
    We got the same letter a few weeks ago. I read the same instructions as you did and mentioned this to my wife. She smiled, and reported that we had received our check a few days before. So I took the advice of the IRS and did nothing. It worked well for us.
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah. Yeah, we got our stimulus via direct deposit about a week before our letter arrived. Put 1/2 in savings, and the other half to pay down debt. Stimulated our own economy pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it nice to know that the government spent roughly 42 million dollars on the initial mailing. Who knows how much more on the "corrective" mailing. Didn't they misprint about 1/3 of the checks and are going to have to send out another batch? Well oiled machine, well oiled. Why don't they just kick us all in the crotch and call it good?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got my direct deposit in April, never recieved a letter but got my cash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saric - thanks for the comment, although I'd rather have $1,500 than a kick in the crotch. :)

    Michael - I'd rather have never received the letter and gotten the cash. Then again, if that were the case I wouldn't have written this stellar post. Hmmm... no. I'd rather have the cash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should have them audited....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didn't you hear that it was a postal service stimulus program? Hope you get your money soon!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  8. $1,500 freaking dollars? What the devil? Oh, let me guess...Amy was working that year. Blast and wretch and *&%^##. So SUCK ON THAT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, she did work a bit last year before Jake was born, but I don't think that changes anything with the stimulus checks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It actually does. I didn't make over $3,000 last year so that was $600 less than we were expecting. The IRS was pretty vague about that. A lot of people got $600 less than they were expecting. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete