Friday, May 9, 2008

Yesterday I said "bastard" in a client presentation

I did. Seriously. We were presenting collateral ideas to a client that happens to be an educational institution. I was trying to say "bachelor's and master's degrees" and instead I stumbled over the first two words and said "bastard degree".

My brain went kind of cloudy. I don't think I've ever said "bastard" before in my life and now I'd just said it in front of a client. What to do?? I could clearly hear the voice of my father in-law in my head: take it a step further. But how? Bastard isn't a normal part of my vocabulary. It didn't even "slip out". I just mumbled the perfect combination of words to result in me cussing. I honestly don't remember exactly what I said, but it was something to the effect of, "Did I just say 'bastard'"? Everyone agreed that I did and I went on reading the copy.

Later in the meeting there was another opportunity for me to slip "bastard" into the conversation while poking a bit of fun at myself, which I did.

I've now said used "bastard" seven times in this post. I think that oughtta do it for the next 28 years or so.

Photo courtesy of here.

9 comments:

  1. That's what happens when you watch shows that are as good as poop! Pretty funny, did your ears get red?
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here I thought I was reading a family blog. I think the stress of work must be getting to you! First a blog about steaming bags of poo and now this. I am going to have to make sure Abbie doesn't read this madness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true. The site has completely gone to pot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome dave. i for one am proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. You'd better really hope they never make you an apostle.

    This reminds me of the time that John Bracken got confused in 7th Grade English class. "Spider" Lomax was our teacher and she wanted someone to give the name of a grammar term. John Stuttered three times and finally spouted out "Pregnant Nominative". Of course we all snickered like school kids, (hmmm, I guess we were school kids). I still don't know what a "predicate nominative" is though.

    Good attempt at taking it a step further. I used that word at work once, but it was as a noun.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whittney - thanks.

    Doug - I'm not in the least bit worried about that either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, that was pretty funny. Especially becuase I didn't even know you knew that word.

    Oh and for anyone who wants to know, a predicate nominative is a noun which follows a linking verb and restates the subject. That's partly my genius and the internet :) I wonder if my 325 grammar class did any good?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miss H - I learned that word from listening to you!

    ReplyDelete