Saturday, May 24, 2008

George Lucas screws up yet another franchise [SPOILERS]


Originally, George Lucas wanted to call the movie Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men From Mars. That alone should give you a feeling for the quality of this movie's screenplay. Still skeptical? Here are some of the more memorable scenes from the film:
  • Shia Labeouf swinging through the jungle with a legion of monkeys
  • Everyone surviving a trip over three consecutive, 100+ foot Amazonian waterfalls
  • Aliens from another dimension
  • A nuclear explosion
Even with the expectation that since this was Indiana Jones that things were going to be above and beyond (how many times can a 60 year-old guy get punched in the face?), the movie was gag-inducing at parts. Too many parts. Sure, there were some good scenes (granted, I can't think of any of them at the moment) and Harrison Ford does a pretty good job, but overall the movie didn't bring anything new to the table and was over-the-top hokey.

If you're an Indy fan, you'll probably see the movie anyway. If you're hesitant and don't care about seeing it on the big screen, wait for it to come to DVD.

Image courtesy of here.

4 comments:

  1. We saw the movie last night at 9:00 PM. I went with low expectations and wasn't disappointed. I'm glad the aliens were from a different dimension otherwise I would have been really ticked off. Speaking of dimensions, the movie was so long I could have sworn I was in a time warp. Oh, and how come aliens always have anemic ectomorphic bodies with enormous craniums?

    My favorite part of the movie was when indy entered the cozy 50's americana subdivision at ground zero, and took a nuclear thrill ride in a lead-lined frigidaire. Now that's cinematic action at it's best. I predict Lucas will get an oscar nomination for that little stunt.

    I think I understand why our son-in-law decided to stay home with the nipper instead of going with us. Someone told me he stuffed his watch into his son's new ball launching toy as a back up excuse just in case.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the movie was entertaining. I learned that nothing in the movie is going to be realistic after I saw the first one! But you are right, unless you are a die hard fan, the DVD wouldn't be a bad way to save a couple of bucks! I liked the ants! They must have been really hungry!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, it's Indian Jones. Not a National Geographic documentary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul - Yeah, I know. But still... WAY too cheesy. It was like they were trying to spoof themselves.

    ReplyDelete